Sunday 2 September 2012

My Friend Fanta, Part I


My friend Bill Peckmann just sent me a batch of storyboards and presentation boards etc. that he did back in the 80's. Remember the Fanta commercials featuring Disney characters? Bill worked on those and it's a pleasure to be able to show you some "behind the scenes" stuff from them. I asked Bill if he would like to add some notes to the boards and so he did.
Take it away, Bill!

"Here’s a black and white copy of an ad agency presentation board for Fanta soda. I did this back in the mid '80's for the K.C.M.P. animation studio in NYC. The ad agency used the original color board to pitch the idea for a Disney character TV commercial to their client Fanta."

"Here is a color copy of one of the 'Robin Hood' panels. The commercials were made with the Disney characters working with live action characters/people and live action backgrounds."


"This is the rough style I did the animation lay-outs in take and which was neat because the great Disney animators Glen Keane and Dan Haskin would make all of my scribbles very legit, bring them back on model and keep the Disney studios happy campers. The animators were followed by excellent (and big Disney fans) assistant animators Eddy Klein and Mike Baez at K.C.M.P. studios in NYC. At the directorial helm was always the one and only Phil Kimmelman."


And here are the storyboards:







I wish I had the finished piece to show you, but this Japanese "My Friend Fanta" will have to do as a sample. Just to show you what these animation/live action commercials looked like.


Stay tooned for more Fanta(stic) stuff!
Coming soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is all very interesting.
Thanks for sharing!
Andrea

My Friend Shawn said...

Hey! I found the commercial that this storyboard showcases here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMT6msUwS3Y&ab_channel=NCContreras Skip to 1:01. It looks like all the ads were done at once then localized in different regions to account for the new languages. I found everywhere from Spanish to Afrikaans, and all the jinlges are translated too! Send it to Bill if you're still in contact, and thanks a million for this upload!!

- My Friend Shawn :)