Thursday 1 September 2011

Rare Scarbo - Closeup and Comedy

Toby Wing by George Scarbo

What a delight it is to find something you never heard about before, by one of your favorite cartoonists. Thats what happened to me last week, when scanning a set of dailies from 1934. On the back of 8 strips there were parts of a feature called "Closeup and Comedy" by Dan Thomas and George Scarbo! Yep, the guy who did "Comic Zoo".
Here's what I found. Enjoy!









OSU only got about 100 C&C from 1935 in their collection, so I guess it's pretty rare. Too bad since Scarbo really did some great artwork in the 30's. Here's a sample taken from their site.

7 comments:

Ger Apeldoorn said...

I had a look as well and as far as I could find Close-Up and Comedy ran daily from February 7 1934 to September 1937! Before that Scarbo did a illustrated kids thing that I find less interesting, but I will get a few samples together and show it on my blog sometime soon.

Manuel Caldas said...

Scarbo is a forgotten genius. I love is Comic Zoo Sundays and would like to publish the ones I have in my collection, but, helás!, in Spain and Portugal humorous comics don't sell

Ger Apeldoorn said...

After Close-Up and Comedy Scarbo did a similar series in 1938/39 called Movie scrapbook.

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Ger: Thanks for the info!
Got scans of a bunch of his Comic Zoo from my friend Germund von Wowern, that I plan to run here later this year.

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

PS. Is that a Valkema portrait you have as an avatar? Nice!

Ger Apeldoorn said...

The avatar is a sketch of the portrait Gerben did as an illustration with my article on newspaper comics in the first free dutch Stripkrant. The second on eis out now and it's even better. It includes a full Skik page by Gerben. Gerben also did a mash-up between his own Elsje and dutch anti-moslim party leader Geert Wilders called Geertje for the second issue of the Dutch Mad.

Joakim Gunnarsson said...

Ger: Gotta catch those! :)